CESSNA CITATION XLS
- Passengers 8
The Cessna Citation XLS is one of the most popular private jets to charter in the world and among the best-selling private jets of all time.
About this aircraft
- A key reason for the Citation XLS’s popularity is its ability to fly in and out of smaller airports while still offering all the amenities and comfort of a mid-size jet.
- The aircraft can be configured to seat 12, but the standard configuration seats seven or eight passengers.
- The 80-cubic-foot baggage hold has space for at least three large suitcases, two golf bags and three pieces of hand luggage. If seven people are flying there’s enough room for one suitcase each.
- The XLS can fly for up to four hours depending on load and flying conditions, completing routes like Switzerland to London and New York to Miami.
- The upgraded XLS Gen2 features new ergonomically designed leather seats, enhanced lighting and updated cabin technology.
Following on from the successful Cessna Citation Excel, the XLS is one of the world’s most popular private jets thanks to its spacious interior, generous luggage space, advanced performance and ability to access short runways.
At over 18 feet long, the XLS’s cabin has room for up to 12 passengers with stand-up headroom, a full-length aisle and 11 windows letting in plenty of natural light. There’s usually a refreshment centre at the front of the plane and a lavatory and closet space in the rear, plus two foldaway tables in the middle of the cabin for eating and working.
Below is a typical configuration of a Cessna Citation XLS.
Interesting facts to learn before you fly
- While you might find other aircraft in the XLS’s class that fare better in one or two categories, the jet’s all-round runway performance, speed, range, altitude, fuel efficiency and comfort mean it remains a popular choice for private jet charters.
- Competitors like the Hawker 850 and 900XP have no external baggage capacity, so the XLS is a better option for those travelling with lots of luggage.
Two powerful Pratt & Whitney PW545B engines deliver 3,975 lbs of thrust each, allowing the XLS to climb to 43,000 feet in just 25 minutes.
The aircraft comes with a Honeywell Primus 1000 avionics suite featuring three display screens, dual radio audio control panels, a decoder and digital flight guidance. The avionics can be upgraded with a Garmin G5000 integrated flight deck.
Taking over from the successful Excel, the first Citation XLS was delivered in 2004 and the model was replaced with the XLS+ in 2008. Over 300 XLS business jets were built during its production run and it’s still one of the most popular mid-size jets on the market today.
Cessna is a general aviation manufacturer based in Kansas that’s been in operation since 1927. Established by mechanic Clyde V. Cessna, who assembled his first plane from a kit using his own water-cooled engines, the company became famous for making small-size piston-powered aircraft for private and business use.
In 1940, Cessna signed a contract to produce 33 Cessna T-50s for the US Army and went on to make 180 more for the Canadian Air Force. The company later expanded to build corporate jets and became the industry’s leading private jet manufacturer thanks to the popular XLS range. Cessna was bought by General Dynamics in 1985, before global conglomerate Textron took over in 1995.
Textron specialises in creating bespoke mission-specific jets for the government, military and commercial customers, and also manufactures Beechcraft and Hawker aircraft. Today, Cessna produces turboprops, pistons and private jets.
A used Cessna Citation XLS costs $4-5 million (USD), while a brand new XLS Gen2 is priced at $15.5 million (USD).
The cost of chartering a Cessna Citation XLS can vary depending on the length of your journey and the airports you’re using.
Contact our team to book a private charter flight on the XLS, or browse our list of available private aircraft for information on other charter aircraft.
Wet lease rates
ACMI (Aircraft, Crew, Maintenance, Insurance) wet lease rates for the XLS vary depending on the age of the aircraft, lease term length, number of guaranteed block hours and average cycle ratio.